Thank you for coming out for Nights on the Fringe at the Baltimore Theatre Project last month! The event was packed with a variety of curated performances by Baltimore area artists, and Fringe is proud to be able to give back to the artists all of the money raised from ticket sales. Woo!
Here are some fun facts from this year’s event, which once again was hosted by funnyman Umar Khan and WTMD radio whizz Aaron Henkin.
- More than 300 people saw the shows.
- Almost $3,500 in ticket sales went back to the artists.
- 20 swag-filled totes with Umar and Aaron’s faces on them are now floating around the city.
Nights on the Fringe is a variety show of different acts, with live music interludes by Telepathic Dog between performances. The band performs on stage, creating a cabaret-type vibe that’s complemented by Umar and Aaron’s banter and thoughtful introductions of each act.
Night I on Friday, June 8, featured:
- Beautiful ballet by Ballet Theatre of Maryland
- A quirky one-act play by Interrobang Theatre
- A comedic motivational speaker focused one-man-show by Alexander Scally
- A shadow puppet story about a historical Baltimore figure by Cagesafe Productions
- An independent short film by Devin Martin
- Powerful poetry by National Poetry Slam Champions from DewMore Baltimore
- A colorful crankie of a cat’s walk through Baltimore by Matt Muirhead
Night II on Saturday, June 9, featured:
- Modern dance by The Collective
- Interactive magic by The Encounter
- A knock-down performance about sexual assault by WombWork Productions
- Aerial circus performances with 1920s flair by In the Dark Circus Arts
- A crankie of a loving tribute to a bird-loving father by Katherine Kahey
- A dynamic acrobatic performance by four-person troupe Club Sandwich
We’re Announcing 2018 Festival Productions Soon!
We’re close to announcing this year’s lineup for the 2018 Charm City Fringe Festival, which is November 1-11 in the Bromo Arts District! We got fantastic submissions from artists from all over the country, and our adjudication panel, which included theater professionals from the region, had a hard time narrowing down the acts to something we’re very excited to present this fall. Save the date and keep an eye out for more details later this summer.